– Ethanethiol (ethyl mercaptan)
– Butane gas
– Rotten drains
– Leek like
– Rotten Vegetables
Cause of Flavour
Mercaptan or ethanethiol occurs in alcoholic beverages and is a natural part of the yeast fermentation process. It can also be caused by yeast autolysis (cell death).
In non-alcoholic beverages ethanethiol occurs for several reasons – contamination of source water supplies by decayed organic matter, sugar break down and flavour decomposition for packaged products exposed to heat.
Ethyl Mercaptan is also used in domestic gas supplies – the traditional gas leak smell – as a warning odour.
Beer Flavour Wheel Number: 0722
Flavour level: 0.1 – 3 ug
Recommended flavour standard / sensory reference standard of: American Society of Brewing Chemists (ASBC) and the European Brewing Chemists (EBC)
Please note: This flavour is one of several thiols we have as flavour reference standards. We also have Methyl Mercaptan (Methanethiol) available which is very similar.
With over 40 years as an industrial equipment supplier JWII has a profound depth of knowledge in the space of analytical instrumentation and related solutions. We help and advise clients to navigate a broad spectrum of products their uses in industry to meet process control and sustainability goals . Our advanced array of tools, synergized with our team of specialists, enables us to deliver solutions of significant impact. With a legacy marked by consistent achievements, we hold in high regard our steadfast dedication to catering to an international clientele spanning diverse industries and geographies.
Our Premier Suite of Services Encompasses:
- Installation: Precision-driven integration tailored to specific requirements.
- Routine Maintenance: Ensuring systems’ longevity and optimal performance through regular oversight.
- Repairs and Upgrades: Proactive identification and rectification of system inefficiencies, bolstered by the latest technological advancements.
- Modifications to Current Installations: Adapting existing systems to align with evolving client needs.
- Emergency Response Repairs: Prompt and efficient solutions for unforeseen system challenges.
- Commissioning: Comprehensive system design, installation, testing, and maintenance to meet exacting operational standards.
- On-site Assistance: Dedicated field teams providing hands-on support, ensuring seamless operations irrespective of challenges.